What do you do if you’re dangerously near your overdraft limit, are about to move house (always expensive), yet crave a homemade meal bursting with flavour? Cook Chilli Sausage Ragu, that’s what!
Tricky questions aside, this recipe costs around a fiver to make not one, not two, but more than four delicious portions. What’s more, it’s tasty enough to serve at a dinner party without seeming like you’ve gone for the cheap option.
It may sound like I’m blowing my own trumpet, but as this is one of The Boyfriend’s specialties, I think you can let me off. Anyway, the proof is in the ragu(?!), so here’s the recipe.
Serves 4 penniless people
- 2 x tins of chopped tomatoes
- Eight pork sausages
- 1 x large red chilli chopped into small pieces
- 3 x cloves of garlic chopped into small pieces
- 1 x tablespoon of good Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 x tablespoon of sugar
- Rigotini / Penne pasta to serve (you need something that will scoop up the lovely Ragu)
- First prepare the sausages by removing the skins and chopping the meat into small pieces (see image below)
- Fry the chilli and garlic in a little olive oil over a medium heat
- Once the chilli and garlic has changed colour, add the sausage meat and cook until golden brown (it will start taking on the consistency of mince)
- Pour in the chopped tomatoes and bring to the boil, before turning down the heat so the mixture simmers
- Stir in the Balsamic Vinegar and sugar
- Season to taste and leave to cook for around 20minutes (good time to put the pasta in)
- Spoon over pasta and serve with a little grated cheese and salad